Re: RDFa RFE: No Mandated DOCTYPE

Le 30 nov. 2007 à 21:54, Sean B. Palmer a écrit :
> On Nov 26, 2007 2:43 AM, Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org> wrote:
>
>> would the following be a solution for you?

>>       xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
>>       version="xhtml11 rdfa svg">
>
> In what specification would the interpretation of the @version values
> be given? Would they be extensible by users other than the W3C? I'm
> not sure they'd need to be extensible, admittedly.

There are troubles with different type of mechanisms.

* known values
   - Dominant players may impose its values
   - Strong Communities will impose a set of values on small communities
   - Sometimes the known values are not known to you, how do you find
the doc
* URI system
   - burdensome for authors without an authoring tool
   - Weakness because of Cache Implementations (Single Point of Failure)

> It's been suggested to me that you meant for @version to be a hook for
> namespace GRDDL to dispatch off of; is that something that you thought
> about?

An identifier more than a namespace. A flag which says: "Hey watch
out, here there might be RDFa"

> This *would* solve the RDFa discovery problem for me, but I'm not sure
> how well it would work as a discovery mechanism in general, especially
> given the extensibility question and so on. From what Mark and Shane
> have said, it sounds like they're only considering @profile at the
> moment.

It doesn't solve the extensibility question indeed.

> See also http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html#standardizedFieldValues-51

At a personal level, I'm for URIs, though I would prefer a mechanism
ala CSS, where I can declare all my namespaces in *one specific file*
on my site, and be able to link this file from all my documents.

GRDDL suggests the use of profile.
http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/#grddl-xhtml

   <head profile="http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view">

but there are two issues for me,

* the file which is delivered at
   http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view
   is a document I have to read, there's no predefined format that I
could automatically grabbed.
* You have to be able to edit head, which is impossible in many
scenarios. Being able to point to another file locally would be cool.
ala CSS  link rel="stylesheet" | style element | style attribute.
gives a great flexibility.

--
Karl Dubost - W3C
http://www.w3.org/QA/