Re: XHTML-RDFa draft made public

Dear all,

my apologies for chiming in here, although I am not part of the HTML WG.
But I do follow the RDFa work very closely....

I am not sure what the role of this document really is. *If* it is (part
of) the technical specification of RDFa, then I am a bit surprised by
some facts. For example:

- Section 3: the role of the hreflang, hrefmedia, hreftype attributes.
These have never been discussed in terms of RDFa lately, I am not sure
what their meaning is in terms of RDF (and I am not sure they should
have any meaning!). [To avoid any misunderstandings: in abstract these
do make sense, it is the context that bothers me!]

- Section 4: some of the examples listed here seem to go beyond the
current content model of HTML, namely the fact that a meta element can
have a child, that it refers to the element being the child of 'link'.
It also refers to a list of predefined values in the XHTML2 namespace.
The current direction of RDFa is *not* to bind it to XHTML2; this is a
crucial point in the deployment strategy of RDFa

- I also have the impression that we got to a nice equilibrium point on
the literal datatype discussion on the mailing list (see the thread
starting at [1]), but this is not reflected in the document (maybe I
have just missed it).

*If* the goal is to have a meta module for XHTML2, that is fine with me
and I am not at my place to make any comments (although the document
should make it very clear the context of this document). But if the goal
is to issue an *XHTML1* module for RDFa with the minimal possible
changes and with no dependency on XHTML2 then I fear this document will
raise some eyebrows... My concern is, again, the wide adoption of RDFa
ASAP, that is why I allowed myself to chime in.

Sincerely

Ivan

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2007Mar/0096.html