Re: XHTML-RDFa draft made public

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 13:52:35 -0500
To: Ben Adida <ben@adida.net>
CC: public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org, HTML WG <w3c-html-wg@w3.org>

Ben Adida wrote:
> Fantastic stuff! This is excellent. Again, thanks for all your hard work
> on this.
>
> Two quick points noted by the CC folks:
>
> 1) xmlns still not supported.... darn DTDs, right? What's the path to
> fixing the W3C validator in this regard? Does it have to be schema-based?

huh?  You can specify any xmlns prefixing you want.  There is a syntax
and an internal subset needed if you want to do it, but its pretty
trivial.  What are you trying to accomplish?
> 2) it seems the document must be served as application/xhtml+xml... but
> XHTML 1.1 should be servable as text/html, right? Is there a deeper
> issue here that I don't understand?

Actually, NO.  XHTML 1.1 should only ever be served as
application/xhtml+xml.  There is no provision for serving that document
type as text/html because it is not, in fact, HTML.  We did indeed
define a hack for XHTML 1.0 that permitted it being served as text/html
if certain restrictions were observed.  This has been widely viewed as a
very bad thing.