Another problem with leading digits

Dear RDF-in-XHTML task force,

Those of us working on NewsML 2 were very glad to see Jeremy's mail
referenced below.  When discussing it we remembered another problem
we have with URIs and we wonder whether it is relevant to the task
force.

Consider:

  xmlns:subject="http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes/SubjectCode#"

As we all know, QNames do not allow us to do this:

   subject:15093000

We all hope that this problem will be fixed using CURIEs.  There is,
however a closely related problem which, we think, CURIEs will not
fix.

Let's suppose that we wish to enable people to use the URI resulting
from concatenating "http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes/SubjectCode#" and
a subject code (eg "15093000"), in order to discover that this code
stands for "kendo", which is a "Japanese traditional martial art
using a bamboo sword, sometimes called Japanese fencing."  If the
string "15093000" were to act as a fragment identifier within a Web
page and if the fragment were to be identified by an attribute
conforming to the XML attribute type 'ID', then this would be
illegal, due to the leading digit.

HTML 4 appears to have no such constraint.  The XHTML 2 draft appears
to be silent on this matter.

Is this issue of interest to the task force?

Misha