Re: Scenario: Trackbacks

"Phil Ringnalda" <phil@philringnalda.com> wrote:

> [ [Doubly aside: I'm not ever going to live down that ill-considered,
> accidently-published rant, am I?]  Not only is
> http://philringnalda.com/blog/2002/08/trackback_and_validation_summary.php a
> better intro to TrackBack and validation, since my blood pressure was down,
> it's also the genesis of how my site is "valid" with embedded RDF: I cloak.
> If the User Agent is one of the validators, I don't include the RDF. It's
> cheating, but it feels better than hiding it in comments, where XML parsers
> are allowed to discard it before it ever has a chance to see an RDF parser.]

[ Triply aside: It's odd that the W3C Markup Validator says the above
  document is valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional when it's actually not even
  well-formed ... ]

> > o validation XHTML: it'd be good if the host page is validatable XHTML.
>
> At least from TrackBack's side of the fence, that's not a "good", it's a
> MUST. That was the impetus for the mad flapping around looking for a way to
> make it validatable last summer: for good or ill, there are enough
> influential webloggers who won't do anything if involves invalidating their
> XHTML that TrackBack probably would have flopped without the evil
> inspiration to comment it out until something better came along.

I'd like to see more sample instances together with scenarios so that
I can test.  Depends on what level of validation you want, I have
several schemata to validate XHTML part without bothering foreign
namespaces.  We need to clarify what kind of validity we are talking
here, though.

Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org
W3C - World Wide Web Consortium