Re: Scenario: Trackbacks

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:50:50 -0400
To: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>, public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org

On Wednesday 11 June 2003 06:02, Masayasu Ishikawa wrote:
> > http://philringnalda.com/blog/2002/08/trackback_and_validation_summary.
> [ Triply aside: It's odd that the W3C Markup Validator says the above
>   document is valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional when it's actually not even
>   well-formed ... ]

You mean the -- ironically enough -- comment about escaping ampersands?

  the &'s to &amp;'s.  Hope this helps.</p>

The wdg validator didn't complain about that either, but Amaya did.

> I'd like to see more sample instances together with scenarios so that
> I can test.  Depends on what level of validation you want, I have
> several schemata to validate XHTML part without bothering foreign
> namespaces.  We need to clarify what kind of validity we are talking
> here, though.

One of my concerns is that this discussion can get a little weird (e.g.,
removing RDF just for the sake of the validator). Isn't the validator a
means to an end and not an end in and of itself? But that then begs your
question of "what kind of validity" we are talking about.... We want
conformance to specifications for the sake of interoperability and
consistent/good user experiences across environments. Without tipping into
philosophical questions about conformance, a pragmatic take is to at least
improve the present situation (e.g., permitting rdf-in-XHTML, making it
easy to find bugs in one's html, app interop, and ensuring consistent
experiences for the user).

Regardless, in [1] we have some requirements, and a few scenarios, and I'm
also hoping to here what sort of potential solutions the HTML community is
thinking about. What's the status of Steven's proposal, or your non-DTD
work? Any chance that would be adopted? If so, why not? (I think at the
plenary Steven mentioned something about a lack of internal user defined
entity support?)

[1] http://www.w3.org/2003/03/rdf-in-xml.html