error reporting (was: Status of comment RC-2)

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 12:40:32 +0100
To: public-rdf-dawg@w3.org

On 26/09/12 01:13, Arthur Keen wrote:
> Having a standard way to report errors makes sense in general and would
> help newcomers (like Algebraix) in the market, by increasing
> interoperability with existing client libraries and applications.
>   However we agree that it would be risky to add it to the spec right at
> the end of the process and we  do not wish to hold up the
> standardization process for SPARQL 1.1, however we ask that error
> messages be considered in subsequent standardization activity beyond
> SPARQL 1.1

The issue I see is that SPARQL exists in a wider context of standards
and code.

HTTP is widely (!) deployed and well understood.  Many client-side
toolkits exist to work with it.

Reuse is good. Adding additional mechanisms is good to make the system
better for one purpose (SPARQLing) but comes with a cost of making
general web frameworks toolkits less suitable for app building and adds
to web developer overload.  This cost is something we all (self
included) tend to underplay when we are in the midst of a technical design.