RDF WG Resolution Regarding Various Forms of String Literals

From: David Wood <david@3roundstones.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 12:39:19 -0400
Cc: RDF Working Group WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>, W3C SW CG Group <w3c-semweb-cg@w3.org>, public-rdf-dawg@w3.org
To: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, Ian Horrocks <ian.horrocks@comlab.ox.ac.uk>, Lee Feigenbaum <lee@thefigtrees.net>
Hi all,

The RDF working group resolved our ISSUE-12 [1] today, which is intended to "reconcile various forms of string literals".

We resolved to accept the proposal at:
  http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/wiki/StringLiterals/AbolishUntaggedPlain
with the modification that preferred output form (SHOULD) is "foo" not "foo"^^xsd:string in RDF; and we recommend that SPARQL and other WGs do the same.

Discussion highlighted several possible areas of concern, which we believe the current proposal addresses.  Specifically, it was noted that:

- The forms "foo" and "foo"^^xsd:string are equivalent input syntaxes.
- The form "foo" is the preferred output syntax.
- The WG suggests retaining the term "plain literal" in documents to avoid unnecessary rework.  Such plain literals would be considered semantically equivalent to xsd:strings.

NB: This resolution makes *no statement* about language-tagged literals (e.g. "foo"@en).

We invite discussion regarding the ramifications of this resolution to other working groups and implementors.

Regards,
Dave

[1] http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/track/issues/12