Re: Changes to Query 1.1 doc

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 21:40:52 +0000
To: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>

On 29/11/10 16:23, Steve Harris wrote:
> Editorial

> * Allow GROUP_CONCAT to work on values other than xsd:string

This is more than editorial :-).

GROUP_CONCAT({<http://example/>,2,3}) is now "http://example/23" whereas
previously it was an error.

SUM does not cast.  We decided that the mixed types in SPARQL meant it
was better to have a non-casting SUM because the application writer can
always add SUM(xsd:double(?x)).

I think we need to be consistent because all it requires is:

   GROUP_CONCAT(xsd:string(?x))
   GROUP_CONCAT(STR(?x))

An alternative is that GROUP_CONCAT uses CONCAT (including lang tag
handling) and we can make it dependent on what we decide for CONCAT.