xs:string return types: [was Re: function library summary and issues]

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 15:36:46 +0000
To: Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org>
The return type for fn:concat and fn:strig-join is xs:string not a
simple literal.

On 16/11/10 18:33, Axel Polleres wrote:
> * CONCAT:
>    cf. http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/meeting/2010-11-16#line0289
>    As for 2) there were some discussions about concat still, with three alternatives:
>    - take fn:concat "as is" i.e. only accepting xs:AtomicTypes castable to xs:string

My reading is that a consequence of this is:

  fn:concat("a", "b") -> "ab"^^xsd:string

Do we want that?  I don't think it's helpful.

The example in section 2.5 is wrong (who added that?)

Steve --

The signature for fn:string-join used in GROUP_CONCAT is also returns an
xsd:string did you mean that?  The example underneath does not match that.

[[
fn:string-join($arg1 as xs:string*, $arg2 as xs:string) as xs:string
]]