Re: ISSUE-48: Less verbose delete syntax

On Saturday 21. November 2009 19:37:43 Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
> Steve Harris wrote:
> > On 21 Nov 2009, at 14:21, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> >> PROPOSAL: In cases where the WHERE clause only consists of BGP, GRAPH
> >> and FILTER, the template may be omitted from the a  DELETE [ FROM
> >> <uri> ]* { template } [ WHERE { pattern } ] query.
> >
> > I feel that the consensus was more on:
> >
> > DELETE [ {template} ] WHERE { pattern }
>
> Kjetil says omitting the template, so I think you are saying the same
>  thing?
>
> Oh, I see, the grammar there says the opposite of what the English says.

Ah, right, it does but it was motivated from the F2F2 resolution that
started this thread:

<sandro> RESOLVED:  we'll have one update statement,   DELETE ... INSERT
... WHERE ..., where one of DELETE or INSERT may be ommitted, and WHERE is
optional, and multiple of these may be combined in a string using ";" as
the separator.

Paul said that one may omit the WHERE clause in the case where there are no
variables to be bound. This is also codified in the current published WD. I
decided to cutnpaste the DELETE statement from the current WD, since the
actual grammar here will be somewhat complex.

You could say
DELETE [ FROM <uri> ]* [ { template } ] [ WHERE { pattern } ]
but not everything is optional at the same time :-) That's why I decided to
keep the current DELETE grammar in the proposal and say in the text what I
perceive the consensus to be. Does that sound reasonable?

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo