Re: ISSUE-48: Less verbose delete syntax

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@talis.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 16:05:55 +0000
To: Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net>
CC: public-rdf-dawg@w3.org

On 22/11/2009 13:35, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> On Saturday 21. November 2009 19:37:43 Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
>> Steve Harris wrote:
>>> I feel that the consensus was more on:
>>> DELETE [ {template} ] WHERE { pattern }

Probably a good idea to move this area on further.

But we do need the details here - what restrictions are there on

FILTER can work.  Do we want those? (my pref, is yes).

What about blank nodes?

Binary graph patterns are more complicated, may be unnecessary and can
by introduced later when they become clear.

and we don't need OPTIONAL.

My pref is, currently, no to pattern combinations because of this
unclarity.  If someone wants to make a proposal, then maybe I will find
this a useful feature but I'm  not comfortable with the current
situation of a outline but no detail.

>> Kjetil says omitting the template, so I think you are saying the same
>>   thing?
>> Oh, I see, the grammar there says the opposite of what the English says.
> Ah, right, it does but it was motivated from the F2F2 resolution that
> started this thread:
> <sandro>  RESOLVED:  we'll have one update statement,   DELETE ... INSERT
> ... WHERE ..., where one of DELETE or INSERT may be ommitted, and WHERE is
> optional, and multiple of these may be combined in a string using ";" as
> the separator.
> Paul said that one may omit the WHERE clause in the case where there are no
> variables to be bound. This is also codified in the current published WD. I
> decided to cutnpaste the DELETE statement from the current WD, since the
> actual grammar here will be somewhat complex.
> You could say
> DELETE [ FROM<uri>  ]* [ { template } ] [ WHERE { pattern } ]
> but not everything is optional at the same time :-) That's why I decided to
> keep the current DELETE grammar in the proposal and say in the text what I
> perceive the consensus to be. Does that sound reasonable?
> Cheers,
> Kjetil

The word WHERE is, currently, optional.

[19]   	UpdatePattern	   ::=   	("WHERE")? GroupGraphPattern

In the particular case of DELETE, I think that DELETE WHERE, the WHERE
being mandatory for this short form, (essentially a keyword that easily
identifies it's an abbreviated delete)

My current preference is:

where X is BGPs + GRAPH + FILTER.

(The question for me is more whether we should do less, not more, than