Re: [TF-ENT] URIs for entailment regimes in service descriptions

[snip]
>> In a sense ../entailment/OWL-Direct is the same as ../owl2-profile/DL
>> and ../entailment/OWL-RDF-Based is the same as ../owl2-profile/Full.
>> That is why DL and Full are not really profiles, but an OWL EL
>> reasoner for example also applies the direct semantics of course. To
>> be consistent with OWL though, not creating the Full and DL URIs might
>> make sense.
>
> The way I understand OWL (2) is such that the linguistic restrictions
> and the applied semantics are strictly separate. In theory I could use
> the DL syntactical subset and apply RDF based semantics. And, at least
> that is the way I understand (and I go to an area where my mathematical
> understanding becomes sketchy...) on that subset it would not matter for
> most of the cases, because the entailement results would be identical.
> Am I far from the truth there?

No, you are right. Entailments would be different for things like
annotations I guess because under Direct Semantics these are ignored
(have no semantics) whereas under RDF Based Semantics annotations
still count. There were a view discussions around that and I am not
sure I remember that rightly, but that's how I think it is.

> That is why I think that entailement/OWL-Direct and owl2-profile/DL are
> different, at least mathematically. If we talk about entailments we
> should use, well, the entailments. And, well, as I said, the profile/DL
> may not be that useful to have (although setting up a URI is one thing,
> SPARQL may not be forced to use it...).

Agreed.

Birte

>>> http://www.w3.org/ns/entailment/RDF
>>> http://www.w3.org/ns/entailment/RDFS
>>> http://www.w3.org/ns/entailment/D
>>> http://www.w3.org/ns/entailment/OWL-Direct
>>> http://www.w3.org/ns/entailment/OWL-RDF-Based

>>> http://www.w3.org/ns/owl2-profile/DL
>>> http://www.w3.org/ns/owl2-profile/EL
>>> http://www.w3.org/ns/owl2-profile/QL
>>> http://www.w3.org/ns/owl2-profile/RL
>>>
>>> This seems to cover what the RIF group requires, it seems to be o.k. for
>>>  OWL (although you might want to convince Ian that the profile ones are
>>> necessary) and seems to cover what SPARQL needs.
>>>
>>> What may be controversial whether the Full and DL profiles are really
>>> necessary; after all, DL is a syntactic subset of OWL ie, it is a
>>> profile although the term is not used. But if we do not need it, we can
>>> just not create those for now.
>>>
>>> Does this work for you, ie, for SPARQL?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Ivan

>>> --
>>>
>>> Ivan Herman, W3C Semantic Web Activity Lead
>>> Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
>>> mobile: +31-641044153
>>> PGP Key: http://www.ivan-herman.net/pgpkey.html
>>> FOAF: http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf.rdf