Re: Requesting input for the Features and Rational document

From: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:06:59 +0100
Cc: public-rdf-dawg@w3.org
To: Kjetil Kjernsmo <Kjetil.Kjernsmo@computas.com>
On 10 Jun 2009, at 09:42, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

> On Thursday 04 June 2009 08:46:29 Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
>>> * ProjectExpression needs a better description and motivation.
>>> We feel that the mention of XSLT is not very relevant, as
>>> assigning a
>>> name automatically, like some engines do now, is sufficient for
>>> XSLT.
>>> It should also be motivated by showing why it is required by other
>>> features.
>>
>> I took a stab at this at
>> http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/Feature:ProjectExpressions
>
> As discussed on the teleconf yesterday, it needs better examples
> too. It
> doesn't sound like the examples are actually executeable as it is
> now, and
> they should be. Also, it is also a good thing if they do not rely on
> other
> features that we do not yet have, such as concat().
>
> It is good to have both SELECT and CONSTRUCT examples.
>
> Can anyone have a stab at this?

  CONSTRUCT { ?x foaf:name (concat(?fn, " ", ?sn)) . }
  WHERE { ?x foaf:firstName ?fn ; foaf:family_name ?sn . }

As a projection it would be something like:

  CONSTRUCT { ?x foaf:name ?concat . }
  WHERE {
    { SELECT ?x, concat(?fn, " ", ?sn) AS ?concat
    WHERE { ?x foaf:firstName ?fn ; foaf:family_name ?sn . } }
  }

Steve Harris
Garlik Limited, 2 Sheen Road, Richmond, TW9 1AE, UK
+44(0)20 8973 2465  http://www.garlik.com/
9AD