Re: [ACTION-33] Trying to sort the SPARQL/Update issues.

On 27 May 2009, at 16:25, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

>>> I have been trying to find groups of operations so we can be clear
>> about
>>> what does what:
>>>
>>> Tentative suggestion:
>>>
>>> 1/ Graph store management: Create/removal of graphs (names of
>>> graphs)
>> from
>>> the graph store.
>>>
>>> 2/ Whole graph operation (graph exists - may have implicit
>> create/delete):
>>> clear, replace contents
>>>
>>> 3/ Changes to (nameable) graph: load data into (add triples), delete
>> data,
>>> insert data, delete by pattern, insert by pattern (this seems less
>>> significant)
>>
>> Good. Also, HTTP protocol use, I don't to what extent we should view
>> that as
>> separate?
>
> I don't see the HTTP protocol use as adding operations that can't be
> done by the language.  They should be aligned.  The language will
> probably be able to do more.

I disagree. The language can't take "local" (to the client) data in
RDF/XML syntax and write it to a remote store. You can do
   $ sparql-update http://store.example/ 'LOAD <file:///tmp/data.rdf>
INTO <http://example.com/data.rdf>'
but that's not the same as
   $ curl -T /tmp/data.rdf 'http://store.example/?graph=http%3A%2F%2Fexample.com%2Fdata.rdf'
due to the whole client/server thing.

I suspect that the PUT/POST/DELETE type tuff is a more natural fit
into the SPARQL Protocol doc, but no strong feelings on that.

Steve Harris
Garlik Limited, 2 Sheen Road, Richmond, TW9 1AE, UK
+44(0)20 8973 2465  http://www.garlik.com/
9AD