Repetitive DELETE, real UPDATE

From: Kjetil Kjernsmo <Kjetil.Kjernsmo@computas.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 17:57:20 +0200
To: public-rdf-dawg@w3.org
All,

I was thinking a bit about what was said in the teleconf about repetitive
DELETEs. Also, I asked my colleagues what would be the main thing that they
disliked about SPARUL. They said that it was that you would need to delete
triples just to update them. Apparently, we've had two bugs allready due to a
lost DELETE...

Andy and Steve mentioned some kind of DELETE * form on the teleconf, which
would simplify such an update query too

DELETE *
INSERT { <foo> dc:title "Foo" . }
WHERE { <foo> dc:title ?o . }

But then, DELETE feels kinda redundant in this query, but you can't just skip
it, it would mean a different thing, so how about actually having UPDATE:

UPDATE { <foo> dc:title "Foo" . }
WHERE { <foo> dc:title ?o . }

which would be equivalent to the current

DELETE { <foo> dc:title ?o . }
INSERT { <foo> dc:title "Foo" . }
WHERE { <foo> dc:title ?o . }

Well, there is still some repetition in there, is it possible to simplify
further?

Kind regards

Kjetil Kjernsmo
--
Senior Knowledge Engineer / SPARQL F&R Editor
Mobile: +47 986 48 234

|  SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE  |

Computas AS  PO Box 482, N-1327 Lysaker | Phone:+47 6783 1000 | Fax:+47 6783
1001