Re: machine consumable SPARQL grammar

From: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:44:53 -0400
To: "Seaborne, Andy" <andy.seaborne@hp.com>
Cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 01:20:38PM +0100, Seaborne, Andy wrote:
> Dan Connolly wrote:
> >So our grammar is now LL(1).
> >http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/#grammar
> >
> >But to directly consume the current draft (1.511 ) by machine,
> >I guess you have to copy and paste the table or something.
> >I think we have yacc and n-triples versions of the grammar.
> >Please add those to the draft, OK, EricP or Andy?
> No problem.  It isn't just yacc anyway.
> (N-triples?)

The N-triples-serializing code is probably a little fettid now.

> I'd also like to see that the generated parsers can in fact parse the test
> suite syntax tests as a sanity check.

I have lexer probs with the python one (don't have the esaping right,
DanC, could you massage the .g file and tell me what escaping diffs
are required?). I periodically run the SyntaxTests through the perl
and C versions. Can do this again. Is now the time?

> >i.e. check them into the rq23/ directory and add a link
> >from the #grammar section.
> >
> >In Andy's repy to the comment, there's a pointer to yacker,
> >and I can follow my nose from there to a list of grammars
> >  http://www.w3.org/2005/01/yacker?action=list+grammars
> >but it's not clear which is the relevant one.
> This is true - Eric is there someway we can:
> 1/ Delete unused grammars

In order to not get distracted by yaccer just now, I'll do this from
the command line. Are there any other than rq23final that you want to

> 2/ Ensure all the generated parsers match the grammar.  At the moment, each
> needs to be explicitly remade, right?  Flagging when the gramamr is newer
> than one of the parsers and a "make all parsers" option woudl help.

This would require a bit of re-eng. Right now, the differen version
overright each other (not a great design).

> The grammar is rq23final (no "-") although that is prior to the change made
> last week s/isURI/isIRI/g which changed the grammar in rq23 as well as all
> the text use of isURI.
> >
> >Is this relevant to life as we now know it?
> >  http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/grammar.yy
> >  grammar.yy,v 1.5 2004/11/28 08:28:39
> >

> 	Andy

                        5322 Endo, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-8520