Minutes of 2005-03-08 Telecon for review

From: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:12:37 -0500
To: public-rdf-dawg@w3.org
Minutes of RDF DAWG telecon 2005-03-08 for review

RDF Data Access WG telcon

IRC log:

chair: KendallC

scribe: EricP

1. Convene, take roll, review records and agenda

Attnedees: Kendall Clark, Kevin, Eric Prud'hommeaux, Andy Seaborne,
	   Alberto Reggiori, Jos De Roo, Steve Harris, Yoshio Fukushige

Regrets: Dave Beckett, Howard Katz, Hiroyuki Sato
next meeting???: 15 Mar???; scribe???

ACTION DanC: to consider adding 'privacy/security' issue, even if we're
most likely to just postpone it or mention it in passing in specs

2. Requirements/Use Cases

ACTION Bijan: to propose text (story? etc.) to support WSDL requirement

ACTION EricP: to review WSDL text proposal

3. SPARQL protocol spec, Service Descriptions

Andy noted that construct can emulate "get the whole graph":
  CONSTRUCT {?s ?p ?o} WHERE GRAPH <g> {?s ?p ?o}
and that since WSDL modularizes the interface, large graph services
may choose not to offer getGraph

ACTION KendallC: discuss warnings in the protocol spec.

ACTION KendallC: to refer to "get the whole graph" explanation from QL spec

ACTION KendallC: to add WSDL description of protocol to editor's draft, propose to WG:

ACTION KendallC: to add "since we're using WSDL, you can use WS-Policy..." to protocol draft

4. Service Descriptions
ACTION KendallC: to incorporate service description discussion notes in protocol spec

ACTION Bijan: to work on "closeOver" work-alike with SteveH

AndyS, EricP, JJC, Don Chamberlin met to discuss xs:datatypes . Got positive
feedback from JJC, no scared faces from Don.

ACTION AndyS: to clarify 5.4 w/r/t closed world assumption

ACTION AndyS: to explain how to get a whole graph with CONSTRUCT * and GRAPH.

ACTION JosD: to review value testing section

ACTION EricP: to propose to close valueTesting (bonus points for test cases, to EricP or others)

6. issue: punctuationSyntax (turtle, N3, ...)
ACTION EricP: to propose results of N3 syntax discussion to DAWG

There are multiple issues; whether we switch from existing syntax to
turtle+variables and whether we, AndyS freestanding list question,
whether FILTERs are in the graph pattern, some orthogonal issues about
what to call matches/regexps/etc. AndyS, EricP, and JosD all wanted
freestanding lists to be illegal.

Alberto noted that we've discussed syntax in previous f2fs, SQL-like
syntax was welcomed by developers, people are already implementing
SPARQL, changing again is not a good message. But sees
benifits to re-using turtle/n3 (parsers).

PROPOSED: adopt the turtle+variables syntax
RESOLVED in favor

ACTION: SteveH to update the tests to reflect the new syntax

AndyS is working on a re-writer tool that may help SteveH.

ADJOURNED, remaining agenda:

7. test suite maintenance

ACTION SteveH: to to revise test manifest w.r.t. "background" and named graphs

ACTION DaveB: to to propose source test to approve

ACTION JosD: Jos to propose an optional test based on

ACTION op:dateTime triple

ACTION SteveH: to to propose tests for str() and =~

ACTION EricP: to pair with SteveH on making the HTML test results page

ACTION AndyS: to add the above graph test cases (analagous to valueTesting test cases)

8. SPARQL result set spec
ACTION DaveB: to consider use of xsi:dataType ala comment from Steer

                        5322 Endo, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-8520
cell:   +81.90.6533.3882

email address distribution.