Re: tests and inference?

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 09:33 -0500, Kendall Clark wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 08:20:33AM -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:
>
> > Inference affects the input graph. Our tests state the input
> > graph explicitly.
>
> This amounts to an implicit prohibition against inference being done
> on that graph.
>
> Does the test suite say that anywhere? The Sparql spec doesn't say
> that, of course, which could be confusing.

Hmm... yes, the test suite should be more explicit... let's see...
the docs currently say "A query action requires two items: the
query and the dataset."
 -- http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/tests/README.html
    $Revision: 1.5 $

How about adding...

  "The dataset gives the exact graph against which the query is
  evaluated (no further inference is used to determine the
  input graph)."

Bonus points if you can link explicitly to the definitions
such as...

  "A Pattern Solution of Graph Pattern GP on graph G is any
  substitution S such that S(GP) is a subgraph of G."
  -- http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/#GraphPatternMatching

Andy, your name is on the README document, but I tend to think
of Steve as test editor. Any preference on where I direct requests
like this? Or should I Just Do It and let you guys undo it if you
don't like?

The SPARQL QL spec is already explict enough, to me, but Kendall
if you can think of a way to make it more explicit, very well,
but keep in mind that the QL is sorta orthogonal to inference.

The protocol spec (perhaps in some future version, or in
a companion "discovery vocabulary" document) is where I
expect to actually see mechanisms for querying "the RDFS closure
of X, Y, and Z" and such, as I touched on in earlier messages...

RE: Test cases: source of a triple
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0363.html

Re: DESCRIBE - description of a resource
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004OctDec/0346.html

> Explicit being better than implicit, I would be less bothered by this
> if the test suite (document, whatever) made this implicit prohibition
> against inference explicit.
>
> Kendall Clark
D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E