commas or no commas (was Re: SPARQL 2004-10-12 syntax and grammar issues)

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 08:19:05 -0500, Kendall Clark <kendall@monkeyfist.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 12:15:07PM +0000, Dave Beckett wrote:
> > ISSUE: Commas or no commas
> > I've already seen user confusion when they tried to use ','s inside
> > WHERE (s, p, o) and omitting them outside with SELECT ?x ?y.  I've
> > mentioned this many times as likely to happen.  It's hard to remember.
>
> I also find this confusing. I'd prefer commas in both places. iTQL
> doesn't require commas between the parts of a triple, and I continue
> to find that v. hard to read.

I don't care either way.  I just prefer commas required or commas banned.
i.e. either of:

a)
SELECT ?x ?y ?z
FROM <uri1> <uri2> <uri3>
WHERE (?x ?y ?z)

b)
SELECT ?x, ?y, ?z
FROM <uri1>, <uri2>, <uri3>
WHERE (?x, ?y, ?z) (?x, ?a, ?b)

and not where we are now:
c)
  SELECT ?x ?y, ?z ?a, ?b
  FROM <uri1> <uri2> , <uri3>
  WHERE (?x ?y ?z) (?x ?a ?b)

I think a) reads better but it's a weak preference +0, weak against to b) -0 and -1 to c)

Dave