Re: SELECT and constants: (was RE: Simple source tests)

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 10:50:26 +0100, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> >I realise now that there are cases where this could be valid, such as
> >
> >	PREFIX : <http://example.com/>
> >	CONSTRUCT (:foo :bar :baz)
> >
> >or
> >
> >	SELECT 23
>
> Steve,
>
> Currently, only variables and * are allowed in SELECT.  Are you proposing a
> change?  (I don't see thing that stops it just at the moment.)

No, I meant "could" as in "could with a different syntax", it would
actually be pretty useless, you would probably need something like "SELECT
23 AS section", but I dont want that either. Maybe version 2 :) Its not
very useful unless youre using UNION queries. I guess you could do "SELECT
?section WHERE ?section == 23", but I'l shut up now, as I think I'm just
confusing the issue :)

It was just an example of why I was wrong to assume that queries need
data to produce results, in the general case.