Re: variables prefix - ?variable vs. $variable

From: Kendall Clark <kendall@monkeyfist.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:01:24 -0400
To: Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
Cc: "Seaborne, Andy" <andy.seaborne@hp.com>, Alberto Reggiori <alberto@asemantics.com>, RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 05:44:49AM -0700, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> We've found several JDBC interfaces where this is downright buggy; and
>
> Hence; lets avoid the ? and use a '^', '@', '+' or something harmelss.

Argh! Not only are we supposed to make a choice of syntax, which
effects every user we'll ever have, based on one implementation (or
integration) strategy for one language environment, but we're doing
this because some of these systems are buggy?!

Total argh.

"^foo" scans like  "not foo" for many people who know something about
logic, I think.

"@foo" -- please, kill me now.

"+foo" -- unspeakably wrong.

Sorry, I don't mean to be nasty, the asemantics guys are great!, but
these are all much worse than "?foo".

Best,
Kendall Clark