Re: variables prefix - ?variable vs. $variable

From: Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 05:50:13 -0700 (PDT)
To: Kendall Clark <kendall@monkeyfist.com>
cc: "Seaborne, Andy" <andy.seaborne@hp.com>, Alberto Reggiori <alberto@asemantics.com>, RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Kendall Clark wrote:

> this *kind* of consideration. Yes, Java is an important implementation
> platform; but this seems an awful reason *by itself* to use something

It is more the general case of *DBC connectors carrying some sort of SQL;
regardless of language.

Right now in SQL, and its derivatives, the '?' ised used for parameterized
queries with a lot of global and local variable connotations which are
substitued at run time. We are using it slightly different in our case.

Simply avoiding it confuses the developers less; makes the learning curve
easier and costs us nothing at this stage. Apart from less confusion it
-also- allows for a very clean migration using exisitng *DBC connectors.

Dw