variables prefix - ?variable vs. $variable

From: Alberto Reggiori <alberto@asemantics.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:55:32 +0200
To: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

sometime ago I arose a possible issue about the usage of '?variable'
style syntax vs. '$variable'  (i.e. clashing with SQL interface usage
of '?' for
'placeholders and bind values' )

0797.html (see second part of the message)

and I got a reply

0802.html (see last part of the message)

but I still do not see any mention about the issue/problem (or how it
could be solved/addressed) into the current BRQL draft

it seems Tucana iTQL uses '$' sign explicitly for variables - we do
similar escaping into our current RDQL implementation for *DBC bindings

what is other people feeling about this? any other implementation

or any chance to get '$' symbol accepted as a synonym for '?' symbol in
the BRQL spec?