W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-rdf-dawg@w3.org > July to September 2004

Minutes of RDF DAWG telecon 2004-07-27 for review

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:18:49 +0100
To: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
Message-Id: <20040729141849.5fc69c72@hoth.ilrt.bris.ac.uk>

Minutes of RDF DAWG telecon 2004-07-27 for review

Agenda:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0170.html

IRC: http://www.w3.org/2004/07/27-dawg-irc


1. Convene, take roll, review record, agenda

Attendees: Tom Adams, Dave Beckett, Kendall Clark, Dan Connolly,
Yoshio Fukushige, Jos De Roo, Eric Prud'Hommeaux, Howard Katz, 
Simon Raboczi, Janne Saarela, Hiroyuki Sato, Andy Seaborne,
Rob Shearer, Bryan Thompson, Kevin Wilkinson

Regrets: Steve Harris, Farrukh Najmi, Alberto Reggiori

Scribe: Dave Beckett

The minutes of 2004-07-20 telcon
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0151.html
with amendments
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0159.html
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0169.html
were APPROVED

Next meeting: Tuesday 2004-08-03 14:30 UTC, EricP to scribe
  Telcon 2004-08-10 14:30 is CANCELLED, RobS and EricP abstained

  Future regrets were given for:
    2004-08-10 (cancelled)  JosD, HiroyukiS
    2004-08-17  AndyS, YoshioF, DaveB?
    2004-08-24  YoshioF


ACTION EricP: find out the schedule of the 2005 W3C tech plenary and
 inform the WG so that we can plan ftf meetings after September.
CONTINUED

ACTION DanC: follow up to
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0129.html
CONTINUED


2. Test development/maintenance

ACTION JosD: discuss test suite documentation and maintenance with Steve,
EricP, AndyS, ... http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0165.html 
DONE
An IRC meeting was held as has been as reported in
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/att-0162/asdf
and will expected to continued (more IRC meetings, more document
work) with reports to the list.

An outline of given of how the WG could address and decide issues,
hopefully with tests that get added to the set, recording
decision points and status of tests.


3. Web Services Directory use cases

ACTION: JimH, to work with Bijan to do some sort of UDDI/Web services
  use case
CONTINUED

ACTION: RobS write email to Farrukh about traversing a taxonomy, continues.
CONTINUED


9. Union query

SimonR presented discussion of his proposed words for UC4.5
"Aggregate Query" more focused on union query:
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0188.html
Suggestion to reuse the RDF Semantics REC definition of "graph merge"

Discussion of graph merging and scalability problems, distributed
graphs and the comparison of the two things - 
 1. querying of graph merge
 2. applying a query to multiple graphs

ACTION SimonR: continue discussing and promoting union query for UC4.5
CONTINUED


10. Federation use case

Discussion of the federation use case given in
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0183.html
by Eric Prud'hommeaux.

EricP intended it to motivate two things:
  1) targetting the query to multiple sources
  2) the union of the graphs rather than the union of the results


4. Toward updated Use Cases and Requirements publication

ACTION Kendall: remove 4.4 User-specifiable Serialization
DONE

ACTION KendallC: draft revision, toward updating our public WD,
  delivery ~next wed.
DONE

ACTION: RobS to review the document when complete.
CONTINUED

ACTION Simon+Kendall elaborate the rel. of rules and "construct" in the
  UC&R doc.
CONTINUED

ACTION SimonR: offer a replacement for 4.5 focussed on union query.
  DONE
  (Agenda item 9 of this meeting, see above)

ACTION ericP: send federation use case motivating premises (in Algae)
  DONE
  (Agenda item 10 of this meeting, see above)

(earlier) Kendall noted he was had 3 possible "last minute adds" to
the UC&R doc before the next publication: Simon's rewrite of 4.5,
federated use case and limited complexity requirement / objective.

RESOLVED to publish UC&R ala 1.128 + edits drafted by kendall,
  reviewed by RobS and HowardK, and OK'd by EricP

Seconded SimonR, no abstains, no against.


11. Replies to DAWG comments - ChrisW, Bjoern

Discussed comments received from:

Chris Wilper
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2004Jul/0000.html

Bjoerern Hoehrmann
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2004Jun/0004.html

ACTION: TomA: draft replies to Chris Wilper and Bjoerern Hoehrmann
  and send the drafts to the WG mailing list.

CONTINUED (amended)


5. SOURCE, "provenance"/data-management"

ACTION Jos: explain log:includes to inform the discussion of SOURCE (nee
provenance)
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0164.html
DONE

ACTION DanC: explain evolution of log:semantics/log:includes from
  uri-is-graph to uri-is-doc in cwm, to inform discussion of SOURCE
CONTINUED

ACTION DaveB: explain the main uses seen for redland contexts with
  respect to the provenance
CONTINUED

ACTION DaveB: propose an way to address the SOURCE issue


6. Issue: DESCRIBE

ACTION AndyS: explain DESCRIBE design implicit in BRQL spec.
DONE
in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0144.html

RobS asked which UC motivated the describe feature, which was
primarily the motorcycle parts UC.  EricP reported he found coding
against the TAP style API hard given the results are undefined, this
is a describe-like feature.  SimonR noted that it was one way of
solving the difficulty of returning a graph with blank nodes,
something like describe is one way to handle it. returning blank ndes

ACTION SimonR: write about the "returning bnodes from a query" issue

ACTION AndyS: write about the querying collections and
  returning collections issues


7. XQuery integration requirements/objective

ACTION SimonR: write a document discussing tradeoffs with adapting
  XQuery as an RDF query language for discussion thru the September
  meeting in Bristol.
CONTINUED

ACTION DanC: notify Semantic Web CG of risks around the "1.5
  Relationship with XQuery" scope of our charter.
CONTINUED

Discussion of implementing the design that was discussed at the F2F
in Carlsbad, see http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/ftf2#xqfa

The WG noted with interest AndyS's document:
  Making RDF Data Available for XML processing
  http://jena.hpl.hp.com/~afs/RDF-XML.html


8. Spec development

Already discussed.


Meeting adjourned 15:50 UTC
Received on Thursday, 29 July 2004 09:22:04 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 26 March 2013 16:15:20 GMT