minutes: RDF DAWG telcon 17 March for review

Please send corrections in reply to this message,
to the whole list; we'll approve the record, with
any corrections/ammendments, at our next meeting.

If you reply to this message about anything other
than correctly recording the meeting, please
*change the subject*.

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 16:08, Dan Connolly wrote:
> 1. Convene, take roll, review agenda
>
> Wednesday, 17 March
> 5:00pm-6:30pm/22:00-23:30 UTC (probably less than 90min)
> Zakim Bridge +1.617.761.6200, conference 7333 ("RDFD")
> http://www.w3.org/Guide/1998/08/teleconference-calendar.html#s_1316
>
> for a list of expected particpants, see
>   http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/#who

Attendees were DanC, AndyS, DanielK, KendalC, RobS, EricP,
  AlbertoR, DaveB, BryanT, DirkG, JosD, DirkC

regrets: JanneS, KevinW

> I'd like a volunteer to scribe.

Thanks, Andy, for taking notes during the call.

  http://www.w3.org/2004/03/17-dawg-irc

For this first meeting, I'm sending an edited summary of
the meeting, to set an example of the sort of balance
I'd like to see between a record that's easy to produce
and one that's useful for the group, including (a) people
who weren't on the call and (b) people looking at this
record many months from now.
In the future, I'd like the scribe to send the proposed
minutes for review.

> 2. Upcoming teleconferences
>
> Based 6 responses to the survey
>   http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35463/ttime/results
>
> I propose we meet
>   Thu 15:30UTC (10:30am Boston / 00:30am Tokyo / 16:30 Paris)
> thru the 1st face to face meeting. In particular,
> 25 Mar, 1 Apr, 8 Apr, 15 Apr.

so RESOLVED.

KendallC offered to scribe the next meeting, 25 March.

postscript:
ACTION DanC: reserve a teleconference bridge
  for 25 Mar, 1 Apr, 8 Apr, 15 Apr
  (ericp, bonus points if you beat me to it.)

> 3. Face-to-face meeting
>
> PROPOSED: to meet 22-23 April 2004 in Amsterdam,
> 	asemantics to host
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JanMar/0037.html

so RESOLVED, RobS abstaining.

There was some discussion of logistics details.

ACTION DirkG: collect logistics details in a web page and
  send us a pointer

ACTION DanC: set up meeting registration
	(ericp, bonus points if you beat me to it)

> 4. Use Cases
>
> I hope to find one or more that several WG members find appealing,
> and work on refining them further.

We tried to find, among the use cases that had been sent, those
that were appealing to several of us and hence merited further
development. In response to a request to discuss structure,
DanC asked that we find one or two specific cases before
looking for a general structure. DanC reiterated the qualities
he suggested the group should be looking for in use cases:

[[
The ideal use cases will

  -- command consensus of this Working Group
	as a description of a problem we intend
	to solve (or: solve a part of)

  -- clarify one or more requitements

  -- still be relevant when we're at last call,
	deciding whether we think the spec is done

  -- engage potential users of our technology
	and convince some of them to closely
	review our spec

  -- be clear and engaging enough to
	get picked up by journalists and copied
	into trade press stories
]]
  -- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JanMar/0009.html

A few offers to elaborate on specific cases were accepted:

ACTION KendallC: refine JS-1, esp the composer/creator version
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JanMar/0025.html

  Note: this is on the boundary of the charter, which says.. "This
   may in practice be the virtual graph which would follow from
   some form of inference from a stored graph. This does not affect
   the data access protocol"
    http://www.w3.org/2003/12/swa/dawg-charter#rdfs-owl-queries

ACTION AndyS: refine AFS-1: "Find the resource for the person called
'John S mith'" with some details
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JanMar/0023.html

ACTION EricP: send "tell me properties of X" case

ACTION AlbertoS: elaborate on AFS-2 "Tell me about ..."
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JanMar/0022.html

see you at the WWW2004 in NY 17-22 May?