Re: Query By Reference in SPARQL Protocol

From: Kendall Clark <kendall@monkeyfist.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 16:54:00 -0500
Cc: dawg comments <public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
To: Leigh Dodds <leigh@ldodds.com>

On Nov 1, 2005, at 2:48 PM, Leigh Dodds wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently the SPARQL protocol for RDF requires that a query
> must be directly included in the incoming message; in HTTP
> binding, as the value of the "query" parameter. As a side effect
> of this, the protocol must also support a POST option
> for "...cases where the URL-encoded query exceeds practicable limits"
>
> I'd like to suggest that the ability to indicate the query "by
> reference", i.e. via URI just like the data sets would be a valuable
> addition:
>
> * allowing queries to be more easily published and shared
>
> * faciliate "URL pipelining", e.g. scenarios where the query itself
> is the output of another service
>
> * reduce the need to resort to a POST operation, as queries need
> not be directly included in the request.

I think, personally, this is a reasonable position; a very early
version of the protocol spec included the ability to do query by
reference, including a nice (if I say so myself!) write up of the
merits of query by reference and by value (inclusion, that is).

I will bring this issue up with the working group and see if it gets
support.

For my edification, would a query parameter "query-ref" (I suppose
"query-uri" is equally good) work for you?

Cheers,
Kendall