Re: JSON-LD Syntax request for FPWD via RDF WG

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 17:01:42 +0100
Cc: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, public-rdf-comments@w3.org, Linked JSON <public-linked-json@w3.org>
To: Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>
Hi Markus,

I'm changing the CC address to public-rdf-comments.

On 22 May 2012, at 16:29, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>> Is there a particular reason why the RDF mapping is in the API spec
>> rather than in the language spec?
>
> The syntax spec is targeted JSON-LD authors that don't necessarily have an
> RDF background. Furthermore it is not syntax but a transformation. We
> bundled all algorithms in the API spec.

Ok. There is a question here to what extent this is in scope for RDF-WG, as the WG isn't chartered to do APIs or non-RDFy stuff really, but I'll leave that discussion to the chairs and W3C team.

>> 2. Examples would be great.
>
> There are a couple of example in the syntax spec [2], don't know if you
> already saw them.

I meant specifically examples for the transformations to and from RDF. The syntax examples in [2] are plentiful and generally great.

>> 3. Is it possible to serialize an RDF graph into a "pretty" JSON-LD
>> document using a context? I presume the answer is "yes" and involves
>> Compaction of the basic serialized output.
>
> Yes, exactly either by compacting or by framing.

Ok, great.

I'm not sure I understand the difference between the two (that is, what they can do and when I would use which). They both seem like ways to force a specific layout of the resulting JSON structure.

Neither the syntax spec nor the API spec really seem to provide a high-level overview that describe what all the algorithms and all the compaction/expansion/framing/flattening business is about. Perhaps a short overview subsection in the syntax spec would be helpful?

Best,
Richard