Re: [Serialization] IBM-SE-005: Definition of serialized output (qt-2004Feb0054-01)

From: Henry Zongaro <zongaro@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:47:40 -0400
To: XML Query <xmlquery@us.ibm.com>, Don Chamberlin <chamberl@almaden.ibm.com>
Cc: public-qt-comments@w3.org

Don,

     In [1], you submitted the following comment on the Last Call Working
Draft of XSLT 2.0 and XQuery 1.0 Serialization.

<<
Serialization Section 4, "XML Output Method": The third paragraph contains

a circular definition of the serialized output that depends on the
serialized output. Presumably it intends to say something like this: "If
the document node of the data model has a single element node and no text
node children, then the serialized output is a well-formed XML document
entity that conforms to the XML Namespaces Recomendation. Otherwise, the
serialized output is a well-formed XML external general parsed entity
which, when referenced within a trivial XML document wrapper like this
..."   (This will clean up the circular logic. But this whole paragraph
should be edited based on the "documentization" process described is
separate comment IBM-SE-001.)

     Thank you for your comment, which I am handling editorially.

     I believe that the wording of this section was revised in response to
another comment on the last call draft, and that revision has fixed the
circular definition you cite.  I would appreciate if you could check the
next draft of the specification when it becomes available, and verify that
it correctly resolves your issue.

Thanks,

Henry
[1]