ORA-SE-292-B: Processing of empty sequence is roundabout and confusing

From: Stephen Buxton <Stephen.Buxton@oracle.com>
Date: 17 Feb 04 11:32:18
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org

SECTION 2: Serializing arbitrary data models

Step 1 says to replace an empty sequence by a zero-length string,
which is presumably an atomic value of type xs:string of length
0.  Step 2 casts this xs:string to xs:string, a no-op.
Step 3 would add a space if there were more than one
atomic value in the sequence, but there is not, so this step is
a no-op.
Step 4 says to convert this atomic value into a text node
with the same string value.  But a text node may not have a
zero-length string as its content; this is a bug in the
specification.  Perhaps step 4 should be
interpreted as simply deleting any zero-length xs:string
values from the sequence.  In that case, if we started with an
empty sequence, we are back to an empty sequence, and one wonders
why step 1 is there.  Or perhaps step 4 is intended to raise
a serialization error.  If that is the intention, please say so.

- Steve B.