Data Model : What is a "fragment"?

From: <Svgdeveloper@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 13:08:12 EDT
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org

On reading the Data Model document it seems to me that the term "fragment" is
used in a way which is ambiguous and potentially confusing.

In 4 it is stated that "A tree whose root node [is not a document node] is a
fragment.".

However in 4.2.3 it is stated, "When a data model fragment is created from
the PSVI, a document information item is mapped to a document node.". I take
that to indicate that a "fragment" acquires a document node. But, if I
understand 4 correctly, it is then by definition not a fragment.

I am not sure if the intention is that "fragment" and "data model fragment"
are intended to have different meanings (if so that should be clarified) or
if they have the same meaning and the descriptions in 4 and 4.2.3 are
inconsistent.

Andrew Watt