Re: Request for Primer

pcotton@microsoft.com writes:

> I am convinced that a large number of introductory articles, papers and
> books are and will become available on XQuery.  For example please look
> at the list of recent XQuery publications listed on the public home page
> [1].
>
> While this demonstrates there are others that agree with your desire for
> introductory material it also indicates that they think it is possible
> to do this sort of work outside of the WG (and outside of the W3C).
>
> So for the foreseeable future I am going to encourage the WG to
> concentrate on getting the XQuery specifications into Last Call and will
> depend on resources outside of the W3C to provide the kind of primer
> information you want.
>
> /paulc
> Chair, XML Query WG
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/XML/Query#other

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response.

With all due respect the references located at the URL which you give are
predominantly either (at this point in time) vapourware, outdated or
inappropriate to the audience which would benefit from a primer. For example,
XQuery Early Adopter was written based on a Q3 2001 WD and was already out of
date by its publication in January 2002. Pity the newcomer to XQuery who has
to try to work out from that book what is still part of XQuery and what is
now of merely historical curiosity.

I don't think that I suggested or implied that the XQuery WG would be the
*only* source of introductory XQuery material.

It remains my view that an XQuery Primer produced by the XQuery WG would be
of benefit to the hopefully emerging XQuery community.

I hope that in time you will come to agree with that view.

Regards

Andrew Watt