Re: Initial remarks on Unicorn

Hi Steven,

First of all, thanks a lot for all these comments.

Le 06/10/2009 13:03, Steven Pemberton a écrit :
> 1. It doesn't seem to deal with 301 (and similar) redirects. E.g.
> http://www.cwi.nl/~steven

That was a bug in Jigsaw. Yves fixed it yesterday.

>    I also note that if I try to validate google.com, it actually
> validates google.fr

Yes, that's because google uses geolocation, thus using the IP of the
different validators. I don't know if there's a way to trick him

> 2. "Infos" is not a normal English word (I usually see it used by French
> speakers), since "information" does not have a plural form. Use "Info"
> "Details" or "Further information".

Fixed.

> 3. The appendix C guidelines are informational only (not normative), and
> are intended to help create content that is not only correct XML, but
> will also work with pure HTML browsers. The appendix C guidelines are
> now rather out-of-date, and the ones in Appendix A of
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/#compatGuidelines are a better
> source. However, they should only generate warnings, not errors.

Unicorn uses http://qa-dev.w3.org/appc/, which used to be maintained by
ot. The output used by Unicorn is indeed not perfect, I'll try to have a
look at it, but I don't know the code at all.
Do you know if there's an online checker for
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/#compatGuidelines?

> 4. Please include a "try again" button, so that you can do edit -
> validate - edit - validate cycles easily.

Besides the fact that this button wouldn't be able to check resources
first submitted by file upload, I'm not sure to see the point here as
browsers can already refresh pages.

> 5. I think it is wrong to say "this document has not passed the Appendix
> C tests" for documents that the tests don't apply to (such as HTML);
> better to say that the tests weren't run since they don't apply.

Indeed, we'll see what can be done.

> 6. .intro    Property  margin doesn't exist : 0 0 0 0
>
>    .intro {width: 60%; border: thin black solid; background-color: #ccf;
> float: left; margin: 0 0 0 0}
>
>    What's wrong with 'margin'?

I couldn't reproduce this, can you give us the URI to Unicorn's results?

Thanks again.

Jean-Gui