Re: [WMVS] Some initial thoughts on code M12N...

* Terje Bless wrote:
>But I fully expect diverging opinions on this. e.g. while Björn has developed
>SGML::Parser::OpenSP fully fledged outside "check", I know he's also suggested
>starting off the M12N process by simply putting a "package" declaration above
>the subroutines in "check" and working from there. I'm sure there are other
>opinions on the choke-point as well.

I said this more in the context of doing stuff for a W3C:: namespace
with code specific to check where the only real difference would be
having the code in different files; for some things there is little
point in re-writing the Validator from scratch. A candidate could be
the $File obje^W hash reference, rather than doing

  is_xhtml($File)
  add_warning($File, ...)

It would be easy to change this to

  $File->is_xhtml
  $File->add_warning(...)

with good confidence that this does not have undesired side-effects,
while still providing some benefit (at the very least if you prefer
dealing with OO-code rather than Perl4-style &sub calls, which I do).

>Well, for the most part, what I'd intended for 0.7.0 is done. There are a
>whole bunch of stuff left in there that is better done with a l10n framework
>(i.e. something gettext-ish for getting the strings, and templates for
>formatting) than by trying to move this out with just templates.

More power to anyone who moves inline HTML to some better place, no
matter when as long as the functionality is preserved. For example,
I would greatly prefer having

  add_warning(..., MESSAGE, @params)

where add_warning would look up a sprintf'able string in some table
for MESSAGE and compose the message from that and @params using sprintf,
rather than longish here documents with lots of inline variables often
with intermixed code to compose the message. That would be a great help
for anyone who attempts to read the code.