Re: [WMVS] Some initial thoughts on code M12N...

At 13:52 04/09/22 +0200, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

>* Terje Bless wrote:

> >Well, for the most part, what I'd intended for 0.7.0 is done. There are a
> >whole bunch of stuff left in there that is better done with a l10n framework
> >(i.e. something gettext-ish for getting the strings, and templates for
> >formatting) than by trying to move this out with just templates.
>
>More power to anyone who moves inline HTML to some better place, no
>matter when as long as the functionality is preserved. For example,
>I would greatly prefer having
>
>   add_warning(..., MESSAGE, @params)
>
>where add_warning would look up a sprintf'able string in some table
>for MESSAGE and compose the message from that and @params using sprintf,
>rather than longish here documents with lots of inline variables often
>with intermixed code to compose the message. That would be a great help
>for anyone who attempts to read the code.

I'm not really sure. In some cases, it may help, in others not.
It's often easier to read and understand the code from the messages
backwards, and in some cases, the messages are almost part of the
code.

Probably looking at the stuff only on screen is though. What I
usually do is print out the code every so often, then read it on
the bus home. Then I scroll around in the code quite quickly, because
I have the overall picture. Of course, your habits may vary.

Regards,    Martin.