Re: [check] releasing 0.6.5 tomorrow / proposed changelog

On May 6, 2004, at 15:56, olivier Thereaux wrote:
> In spite of a very tight schedule (between a flurry of national
> holidays and an overseas trip) I am inclined to release v0.6.5 of the
> Markup Validator tomorrow.

Tomorrow sounds even better now, since the CSS validator has (somehow
by mistake, I had forgotten to tell Yves I was working on the hTML
files) been updated and now sports the new style/interface. Will be
nice to update both services around the same time.

I am still struggling with last-minute issues and decisions... Bjoern
pointed out that changes I had made today was breaking a well-known
behaviour (clicking on a label should usually select the button, not go
to another page), so I reverted that.

I also changed the default to non-verbose on the homepage interface,
though I think it's OK to leave it preselected for the advanced
interface and revalidate box. Your opinions welcome by tomorrow, and in
any case, none of all this is cast in stone.

Below is my - proposed - compiled changelog for the announcement.
Opinions on this much welcome.

General
- new style, new (simpler) navigation mechanism [ shared with CSS
validator ]
- Bug tracking system now officially supported
<http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/>
- updating and expanding catalog of supported character encoding and
document types

Features / Bug fixes
- additional explanations for error messages in "verbose" mode -
contributed by the www-validator community -.
- new fallback mechanism when doctype or charset is missing
- fixed broken markup output bugs
- internationalization improvements, other small fixes

Documentation
  - FAQ (NEW, added to the help page) lists a lot of the usual
validation problems
  - installation documentation (NEW) makes it much easier to install the
markup validator locally
  - user and developer's documentation (UPDATED)