Re: prov-links ready for review

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your review. Changes have been implemented and a new version
is  staged at
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/links/releases/NOTE-prov-links-20130430/Overview.html

Regards,
Luc

 >  On 28/03/2013 10:55, Luc Moreau wrote:
 > >
 > > Dear all,
 > >
 > > I made an editorial pass over prov-links.
 > >
 > > The staged version, in its final NOTE form, is available from:

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/links/releases/NOTE-prov-links-20130430/Overview.html

 > > It is now ready for internal review. We will assign reviewers today
during the
 > > call.
 > Reviewing at the above link (retrieved 20130328 at about 14:45 UK time)

 > Section 1, para 2:
 >
 > "... therefore, provenance of provenance is itself a critical aspect
of an
 > information infrastructure such as the Web."
 >
 > This seems to me like a rather strong claim.  (The web got on quite
well so far
 > without it ;) )
 >
 > Suggest something like: "... therefore, provenance of provenance is
itself an
 > important aspect of establishing trust in an information
infrastructure such as
 > the Web."

Done

 > Section 1, para 2:
 >
 > "These blobs of provenance descriptions are independent of each
other, ..."
 > seems to me a strange thing to say, as I don't think total
independence as
 > implied is intended or particularly useful. Suggest: "These blobs of
provenance
 > descriptions stand independently of each other, ..."

Done

 > Section 5
 >
 > I'm not understanding the motivation or purpose of the constraint
 >
 >    IF mentionOf(e, e1, b1) and mentionOf(e, e2, b2), THEN e1=e2 and
b1=b2.

 > e.g. It seems to me that if bundle b1 has specializationOf(e1, e2) or
 > mentionOf(e1, e2, b2) then it would make sense for e to be a
specialization of
 > distinct entities e1 and e2.
 >
 > Rather than just e1 = e2, is it not sufficient to allow:
 >
 >    specializationOf(e1,e2) OR specializationOf(e2,e1) OR e1 = e2
 >
 > ?

The reason for this constraint is the rdf encoding in two separate
properties.

With a ternary relation, we could express
  mentionOf(e, e1, b1) and  mentionOf(e, e2, b2).

In rdf, we would have
  e prov:mentionOf e1
  e prov:asInBundle b1
  e prov:mentionOf e2
  e prov:asInBundle b2

which would allow us to express
  mentionOf(e, e1, b2) and  mentionOf(e, e2, b1)
but nothing requires e1 to be described in b2 and e2 in b1.

 > I think this document is fine for release as a NOTE, but as a parting
shot I'll
 > reiterate that I'm not seeing what is said by mentionOf(e1, e2, b)
that would
 > not be covered by separate statements:
 >
 >     specializationOf(e1, e2)
 >     prov:has_provenance(e2, b)

The key difference is that we have no indication that b is a new fixed
aspect of e1 and other additional aspects of e1 may have been computed
using the description of e2 in b.