Re: prov-links ready for review

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your review. Changes have been implemented and a new version
is  staged at
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/links/releases/NOTE-prov-links-20130430/Overview.html

Regards,
Luc

 > Hello Luc and Tim,
 >
 > Included below is my review of PROV-Links (latest ED)
 >
 > It's a very good document, and I could hardly find anything I didn't
like.
 > After considering the minor adjustments below, I believe the document is
 > ready to be published as a Note.
 >
 > Minor things:
 > 1. Introduction
 > - In the 2nd paragraph: you mention "blobs" of provenance twice. I'm
not a
 > real fan of this term, as it implies the bundle to be a "binary large
 > object", which implies that it is somehow black box, which is not the
case,
 > preferably. On the contrary, the whole concept of mention is there to
 > provide context about the specialized entity. Changing this to "sets of
 > provenance" or "named sets of provenance" is clearer in my opinion, and
 > consistent with the PROV-DM definition.

OK Done.

Mention<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/links/prov-links.html#concept-mention>is
 > experimental, and for this reason was not defined in PROV
 > recommendation-track documents. The Provenance Working Group is seeking
 > feedback from the community on its usefulness in practical scenarios. "

No, I was intending to keep it, since it is really its status: it's
experimental.

 > 2. Conceptual Definition
 > - I was confused by the following paragraph:
 >
 > > Let us consider a bundle and the expression specializationOf(e2,e1)
 > > occuring in this bundle. The entity e1 may described in multiple other
 > > bundle bi. From specializationOf(e2,e1), one cannot infer
 > > prov:mentionOf(e2,e1,b) for a given b, since it is unknown which bi's
 > > descriptions were used to computed additional aspects of e2. Hence,
 > > prov:mentionOf has to be asserted.
 > >
 > I don't see the added value of this paragraph. It seems to explain the
 > merit of having mentionOf again, whereas that is already clear from the
 > previous text. Personally, I was confused by it when I wasn't before
I read
 > it. Was it put here after a review?
 > If you do decide to keep it, it seems strange for me to put this here. I
 > would either put it lower, together with the examples, or drop it.
 > If you do keep it, there is a small typo in "multiple other bundle
bi" (the
 > 's' of bundles is missing).

I moved it up, just after the definition, and added a sentense stating
that mention cannot be inferred from Specialization.

 > 3. Ontological Definition
 > the text "When :x prov:mentionOf :y and :y is described in Bundle :b, the
 > triple :x prov:asInBundle :b is also asserted to cite the Bundle in which
 > :y was described." appears in both PROV-O definitions. This seems a bit
 > arbitrary and copy-pasted. A suggestion would be to polish this to:
 >
 > > Property: prov:mentionOf
 > >
 > > IRI:http://www.w3.org/ns/prov#mentionOf
 > >
 > > prov:mentionOf of is used to specialize an entity as described in
another
 > > bundle, so it's provenance can be augmented in this bundle.
prov:asInBundle
 > > is used to cite the Bundle in which the generalization was mentioned.
 > >
 > and
 >
 > > Property: prov:asInBundle
 > >
 > > IRI:http://www.w3.org/ns/prov#asInBundle
 > >
 > > prov:asInBundle is used to specify which bundle the general entity of a
 > > prov:mentionOf statement is described.
 > > When :x prov:mentionOf :y and :y is described in Bundle :b, the
triple :x
 > > prov:asInBundle :b is also asserted to cite the Bundle in which :y was
 > > described.
 > >

 > Or something similar to make it just that tad bit cleaner.

Followed your suggestion, mostly.