Re: PROV-ISSUE-239 (TLebo): is wasGeneratedBy(e) meaningful? [prov-dm]

From: Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 00:56:48 +0000
To: Daniel Garijo <dgarijo@delicias.dia.fi.upm.es>
Cc: Provenance Working Group <public-prov-wg@w3.org>, Timothy Lebo <lebot@rpi.edu>
On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 21:43, Daniel Garijo
<dgarijo@delicias.dia.fi.upm.es> wrote:

> you may want to say that an entity has been created and assert some metadata
> about the creation (hour,
> location, etc.), but not want/know which activity produced it. That is why
> everything can optional but the entity.

This is a valid explanation, however then you have still included the
time or the attributes, and not covering Tim's question.

However, I don't see any reason why we need to spend effort making
wasGeneratedBy(e) 'forbidden' - it could still be used with a note if
someone wants to give metadata about the generation (say why the
activity and time could not be recorded!)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science