Re: PROV-ISSUE-367 (hadActivity-domain-and-comments-unclear): prov:hadActivity domain and usage unclear [Ontology]

From: Timothy Lebo <lebot@rpi.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 10:59:55 -0400
To: Provenance Working Group <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
Stephan,

On Apr 26, 2012, at 12:11 AM, Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:

> PROV-ISSUE-367 (hadActivity-domain-and-comments-unclear): prov:hadActivity domain and usage unclear [Ontology]

> Raised by: Stephan Zednik
> On product: Ontology
>
> 1) There are two domains defined for prov:hadActivity
>
> - prov:Involvement
> - the union of prov:Derivation and prov:Responsibility
>
> from http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/#ch_domain
>
> Where a property P has more than one rdfs:domain property, then the resources denoted by subjects of triples with predicate P are instances of all the classes stated by the rdfs:domain properties.

Agreed. Both domains hold for all subjects that use the property.
The simpler domain is for RL compatibility, and the union is for RL++ use.
They do not contradict.

>> From what I can tell this means the domain is the intersection of prov:Involvement with the union of prov:Derivation and prov:Responsibility, which is just the union of prov:Derivation and prov:Responsibility since both are subclasses of prov:Involvement.

Correct.

> 2) annotations on prov:hadActivity
>
> - it appears that the domain has been relaxed to be a union of Derivation and Responsibility, so I think we can remove the prov:todo annotation

done

> - The rdfs:comment is currently "The activity generating the the derived entity and using the derived-from entity".  I think this should be updated to reflect the relaxed domain.  What does it mean when a qualified Responsibility hadActivity?

DM says:

derivation:
activity: an optional identifier (a) for the activity using and generating the above entities;

invalidation:
activity: an optional identifier for the activity that invalidated the entity;

responsibility:
activity: an optional identifier (a) of an activity for which the responsibility link holds;

PROV-O comment was:

The activity generating the derived entity and using the derived-from entity.

PROV-O comment changed to:

Optional: The Activity that is part of the Involvement, which used, generated, invalidated, or was the responsibility of some Entity.

-Tim