PROV-ISSUE-366: Approving agent in a qualified wasRevisionOf [Ontology]

From: Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 23:14:58 +0000
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org
PROV-ISSUE-366: Approving agent in a qualified wasRevisionOf [Ontology]

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/366

Raised by: Stephan Zednik
On product: Ontology

PROV-DM says an agent may be referenced in a Revision Record as the agent that approves that the former is a due variant of the later.

http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-dm/#record-Revision

6.3 Revision Record

A revision record is a representation of the creation of an entity considered to be a variant of another. Deciding whether something is made available as a revision of something else usually involves an agent who represents someone in the world who takes responsibility for approving that the former is a due variant of the latter.

A revision record, written wasRevisionOf(e2,e1,ag,attrs) in PROV-ASN, contains:

newer: an identifier e2 identifying an entity that represents a newer version of an entity;
older: an identifier e1 identifying an entity that represents an older version of an entity;
responsibility: an optional identifier ag for the agent who approved that e2 is a variant of e1;
attributes: an optional set attrs of attribute-value pairs to further describe this record.

Since prov:agent is a specialization of prov:involvee and is meant to represent the 'rdf:object' of the unqualified relation, I don't think prov:agent works as the relation to represent the approving agent.

I think we need a new specialization of prov:involved to represent the approving agent of the derivation, perhaps prov:wasApprovedBy.

Or, we can take this back to PROV-DM to get clarification on the intent for having an approving agent of a derivation relationship.