Re: PROV-ISSUE-95 (Recipes as Classes): Recipes as classes? [Conceptual Model]

From: Jim McCusker <mccusj@rpi.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 16:46:57 -0400
To: "Myers, Jim" <MYERSJ4@rpi.edu>
Cc: Provenance Working Group WG <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 4:22 PM, Myers, Jim <MYERSJ4@rpi.edu> wrote:

>  Got it  makes sense. That mechanism in OWL addresses the distinction
> between process and description/definition we were discussing. Would it be
> better to think of the class as Process (versus plan?)  HTTPGet is a
> subclass of process (whose instances are PEs) and the HTTPGet instance
> defines the process (and hence is the plan)?****

That's the idea - the class HTTPGet is a subclass of ProcessExecution, and,
since it defines processes, is also a Plan. Since plans can be used (or had)
but not followed, the fact that a particular ProcessExecution had a
particular plan, but isn't of that type expresses that it didn't go to plan.
Which means that I have to tweak my HTTPGet class a little bit:

Class: HTTP_1.1:GET
    SubClassOf:
        prov:ProcessExecution
        prov:used exactly 1 HTTP_1.1:UniformResourceLocator
        prov:generated exactly 1 HTTP_1.1:Transaction
        prov:hasPlan value HTTP_1.1_GET

since having a plan doesn't guarantee that it succeeded, it's a necessary
condition that you have the plan to be of that kind of process, but not
sufficient (hence, moving it from EquivalentTo to SubClassOf).

Jim
--
Jim McCusker
Programmer Analyst