PROV-ISSUE-96 (entities and roles): Relating Roled Entities with non-Roled Entities [Conceptual Model]

From: Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 17:46:04 +0000
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org

PROV-ISSUE-96 (entities and roles): Relating Roled Entities with non-Roled Entities [Conceptual Model]

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/96

Raised by: James McCusker
On product: Conceptual Model

Let's say we have Entities "Jim McCusker" and "Jim McCusker as first author of XYZ paper". Under the current proposal, "Jim McCusker as first author of XYZ paper" is of type Entity and also of type FirstAuthor, which is a subclass of Entity and is therefore a Role. Since "Jim McCusker as first author of XYZ paper" is contextualized by that role, it's not correct for that to share the same URI as "Jim McCusker". However, there is some sort of relationship.

I'd like to propose that complementOf, or whatever succeeds it, is that relationship. It follows the same pattern of "same entity in different contexts", as the role is a particular non-temporal, non-spatial contextualization.