Re: PROV-ISSUE-89 (what-entity-attributes): How do we find the attributes of an entity? [Formal Model]

From: Khalid Belhajjame <Khalid.Belhajjame@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 17:04:09 +0100
To: Provenance Working Group WG <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
CC: Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
On 02/09/2011 09:52, Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:
> PROV-ISSUE-89 (what-entity-attributes): How do we find the attributes of an entity? [Formal Model]

> Raised by: Luc Moreau
> On product: Formal Model
>
> The conceptual model defines an entity in terms of an identifier and a list of attribute-value pairs. It is indeed crucial for the asserter to identify the attributes that have been frozen in a given entity.
>
> Currently, the ontology does not seem to identify these attributes.
>
> To say that these attributes could be found by looking at all the properties for this entity does not work with an open world assumption.
>
> What mechanism do we have to identify these attributes?

A solution that can be adopted, although I am not sure if it poses
efficiency problems, is to explicitly add a class in the ontology named,
e.g., "EntityAttrribute", and an object property "charaterizedBy" that
links Entity to EntityAttribute.

The attributes that characterize a given entity must then be defined as
instances of EntityAttribute, and the link between the entity in
question and the attributes characterizing it as instances of
characterizedBy.

Khalid