PROV-ISSUE-88 (Provenance-container): Provenance container seems an unnecessary concept

From: Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 16:54:10 +0000
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org

PROV-ISSUE-88 (Provenance-container): Provenance container seems an unnecessary concept

Raised by: Graham Klyne
On product:

See also: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-prov-wg/2011Aug/0383.html

The notion of provenance container does not serve any essential purpose that I can see.  And its description is in terms of PIDM constructs, which don't appear to have any existence in the conceptual model.

What I do see as needed are:

(a) a provenance expression, which is a conjunction of provenance assertions.  In web terms, this would just be a provenance resource, itself a kind of Entity, about which other provenance assertions can be made - which seems to be the main point.  It's fundamental property would be that it is true or false statement about some Entity or Entities.

(b) an account, which I see as a collection of provenance assertions corresponding to "a perspective on the world".