Re: Kickstarting the Provenance Access and Query Task Force

--
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/prov/XGR-prov-20101214/#Provenance_in_Web_Architecture

Short answer:

-- http://www.w3.org/TR/powder-dr/#assoc-linking

Longer answer:

I've just re-reviewed the Web Architecture section from Prov XG, and have some
possible concerns with it.

1. The Web architecture considerations stated by the XG are veru narrowly stated
in terms of a web of documents served by HTTP.  HTTP may be the main Web
protocol but it's not the only one; others can be used:

"For example, information retrieval systems often make use of proxies to
interact with a multitude of URI schemes, such as HTTP proxies being used to
access "ftp" and "wais" resources. [...] Likewise, future protocols may be
defined that encompass our current systems, using entirely different interaction
mechanisms, without changing the existing identifier schemes."
-- http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#dereference-uri

With RDF, URIs are often used to refer to things that cannot be retrieved on the
Web; yet I think it may be important to be able to assign provenance to such
resources. Yet the XG report seems to say that resources are those things for
which representations can be retrieved using HTTP.

2. I think that treating provenance as something that can be accessed via
content negotiation on a resource URI, of that's what is being proposed, is
plain wrong.

"By design, a URI identifies one resource. Using the same URI to directly
identify different resources produces a URI collision."
-- http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#URI-collision:

In this case, I would argue that provenance is a different resource from the
entity to which it applies.

There was a vaguely similar issue raised by the IETF WebDAV working group, who
introduced new HTTP methods for retrieving properties of resources.  This became
standardized despite some discussion about the "URI collision" problem in the
web architecture - two different resources accessible only via a common URI.
Digging for more background, I found this:
-- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/1998OctDec/0074.html

I'm a bit hazy about how this played out, but there was some discussion of this,
e.g.
-- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2007JulSep/0184.html

But rather than focus on the problems, I think there's something we can use to
avoid these problems:
-- http://www.w3.org/TR/powder-dr/#assoc-linking
suggests several possible mechanisms;  I'm particularly thinking of the HTTP
Link: header option, though the others might have a place too.

(This ref. thanks to a serendipitous online chat with Julian Reshcke)