Re: PROV-ISSUE-2: proposal to vote on - process execution duration

+1

On 6/9/2011 11:27 PM, Paul Groth wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In the telecon today we almost reached consensus around the following proposal:
>
> "A process execution has a duration, i.e. it spans a time interval"
>
> However, there were concerns that this meant that it required all process executions to specify a duration.
>
> I would like to suggest a reformulation of the proposal as follows:
>
> "A process execution has a duration, i.e. it spans a time interval. Statements denoting this duration are optional."
>
> In order to make progress, can you express by +1/-1/0 your support for
> this proposal?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Hi All,

I had no time to attend. In the CRM, we specify inner temporal bounds (P81), possibly a
point in time when the process was running, and outer temporal bounds (P82). No statement
is made, how far these bounds are from the real duration. There is an algorithmically
sound algebra that deals with these 4 values of indeterminacy (http://www.arnetminer.com/viewpub.do?pid=642380)

We adopted this in ISO21127, because it generalizes over any granularity of discrete time and
gives a realistic account of the empirical knowledge when a process has happened.

This is a further elaboration of your proposal. I vote yes for your proposal.

Martin

                                |  Email: martin@ics.forth.gr |