PROV-ISSUE-53 (sparql-query-is-overkill): can't we have a lighter method to retrieve provenance-uri, given a document uri? [Accessing and Querying Provenance]

From: Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 14:45:52 +0000
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org

PROV-ISSUE-53 (sparql-query-is-overkill): can't we have a lighter method to retrieve provenance-uri, given a document uri? [Accessing and Querying Provenance]

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/53

Raised by: Luc Moreau
On product: Accessing and Querying Provenance

Isn't it too onerous to require third parties to provide sparql endpoints, simply to answer the query illustrated in http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/paq/provenance-access.html#third-party-services  (give the provenance-uris for this resource)?

Stian had suggested a REST service to answer this query, encoding the URL as an argument passed to the service. I had outlined a variant with GET instead of POST.

Some implementers may not use an RDF serialization of provenance, and therefore, it would be good to have a non-SPARQL approach for finding a provenance URI.