RE: Understanding Terms and Services

We're getting pretty far away from the original hypothetical, which was what Jux aggregates. Let's go back to the Jux privacy policy to put that in context. What Jux is able to aggregate is what they collect because you use the service, which is listed in the privacy policy already (just not in the sharing section). Jux already has that information because you've chosen to use the service. And they also use that information for a secondary purpose, which is to share statistics about the users of their service en masse (probably with advertising and metrics companies to value the inventory they sell).

But also, I'm not denying that some users are concerned about aggregation. And for that, an opt out is a better solution than a more complex privacy policy that no one will read.

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl Dubost [mailto:karld@opera.com]
Sent: 09 March 2012 19:38
To: Chappelle, Kasey, VF-Group
Subject: Re: Understanding Terms and Services

Le 9 mars 2012 à 11:34, Chappelle, Kasey, VF-Group a écrit :
> Are you personally impacted in some way if I sell this data to another company?

I could. Data aggregation is contextual. It's why anonymizing data is so hard and not just putting a number.
For example, you gave the postcode as a bin for the data.

1. it depends on the country, the level of granularity of the postcode 2. it depends on the number of persons living in that postcode (take a country side and a city, and you will get a lot more identifiable data) 3. it depends on time, you could aggregate my location once a year, or you could aggregate my location every minutes and you would have a precise rendering of where I live, my work schedule, my habits, etc.

The issue is not about aggregating or not the data, the issue is about knowing what I'm willing to share. Maybe I'm perfectly fine in sharing the color of my shoes I wear every day and not at all the cafes I'm going to work every day.

The choice is key.

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/
Developer Relations, Opera Software