Re: Understanding Terms and Services

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 14:37:57 -0500
To: "Chappelle, Kasey, VF-Group" <Kasey.Chappelle@vodafone.com>

Le 9 mars 2012 à 11:34, Chappelle, Kasey, VF-Group a écrit :
> Are you personally impacted in some way if I sell this data to another company?

I could. Data aggregation is contextual. It's why anonymizing data is so hard and not just putting a number.
For example, you gave the postcode as a bin for the data.

1. it depends on the country, the level of granularity of the postcode
2. it depends on the number of persons living in that postcode (take a country side and a city, and you will get a lot more identifiable data)
3. it depends on time, you could aggregate my location once a year, or you could aggregate my location every minutes and you would have a precise rendering of where I live, my work schedule, my habits, etc.

The issue is not about aggregating or not the data, the issue is about knowing what I'm willing to share. Maybe I'm perfectly fine in sharing the color of my shoes I wear every day and not at all the cafes I'm going to work every day.

The choice is key.

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/
Developer Relations, Opera Software